Before we get started I found an interesting study on how Tablet Users Devour 48% More Internet.
3 Mindsets of Search
I saw a study titled 3 Mindsets of Serach by About.com and a company called Latitude Research. I use this research to dive in a little deeper. Here’s an overview of the study:
The study revealed three distinct search types:
1. Answer Me (46% of all searches) – People in a “answer me” search want exactly what they ask for, and no more, delivered in a way that allows them to get to it as directly as possible.
2. Educate Me (26% of all searches) – People in an “educate me” search want 360 degrees of understanding, and multiple perspectives on critical topics. They will search until their goal is achieved – this may stretch over long periods of time and through related topics.
3. Inspire Me (28% of all searches) – The fun “browsy” type of search, where people are looking for surprises, have open minds and want to be led.
Study also revealed the meaning of “expertise” is evolving. The meanings depend on the search type, search category and search
• 96% of those surveyed include self-taught “allies” with deep experience and motivation.
• 87% of those surveyed include traditional credentialed experts, who are formally educated.
• 89% of those surveyed include the wisdom of crowds; other experienced users in social or outside networks.
Mindset: “Give me what I want, nothing more, nothing less.”
o People in a “answer me search” want the right information in a setting that allows them to get to it as directly as possible – no extra info needed!
• Despite the speed of a Answer Me search, not all are urgent
o “What’s that actor’s name again?”
• Top Categories:
Mindset: “Help me understand the things that matter most – don’t spare any details.”
o Educate me searches are about things that are important. People are looking for a 360 understanding.
• Educate Me searches usually span longer periods of time and many different sites
o People in an “educate me” search will search until goal is achieved – this may stretch over long periods of time
and through related topics
• Top Categories
Mindset: “Excite and inspire me about the things I love, but I have an open mind and am ready to be led”
o People in a inspire me search want to be “taken somewhere”
• Despite the “relaxed” state of an “Inspire Me” search, it can be always on.
o People often search on the same two or three topics when they get a spare moment.
• Top Categories:
2. Home & Garden
The concept of expertise has evolved from what it once was and people now want guidance from a range of “experts”