In today’s podcast we talk about the needs of person and how can going deeper and understanding people can help you with success in earned media. So when you share messaging, offers, products, or communication in social media you might be able to get insight.
Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs says you can predict how people will behave by looking at their underlying needs. Maslow believed, for example, a starving person would find food first, putting aside every other consideration including social niceties.
What are these core needs?
- Physiological needs are the requirements for human survival. They include breathing, food, water, shelter, sex, clothing, sleep and comfort.
- Safety needs can be seen as a way to meet tomorrow’s physiological needs. They include personal and financial security, health, order, law and protection from elements.
- Love and belonging needs are about social interactions. We don’t want to go through life alone. Social needs include friendship, love, intimacy, family, community, belonging and relationships.
- Esteem needs include self-esteem as well as recognition from others. Esteem can come in the form of achievement, status, prestige, recognition, mastery, independence and responsibility.
- Self-actualization needs relate to becoming more than what we are, and they can come from peace, knowledge, self-fulfillment, realization of personal potential, personal growth and peak experiences.
We talk about these needs. Can you get to a further understanding of these needs to connect with people in the social space. I go in different directions here in the hope that I spur some thoughts for you. Can we use these needs to understand why people engage social media. How you can keep these needs in mind when you engage in earned media.
I would love feedback on this show or should I stick to a roundup of news and thoughts?
** this show is one of the top 10 listened to and shared shows from 2010.